EMC, through the work of it’s Managing Director, Mr. Shyam Nokta and other key team members, has supported the implementation of the Rio Conventions in Guyana by providing assistance for national strategy development and implementation and country reporting. EMC’s experience include:
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- Supported Guyana’s Technology Needs Assessment with focus on mitigation technologies.
- Conducted an assessment to mainstream and monitor the implementation of the UNFCCC in Guyana as part of an overall initiative for implementation of the Rio Conventions.
- Conducted a flood vulnerability assessment and preparation of flood risk maps for 20 communities on East Coast Demerara.
Key EMC personnel have been involved in national and international efforts on climate change and avoided deforestation (REDD+).
United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (UNCBD)
- Supported the preparation of Guyana’s National Biodiversity Strategy & Action Plan.
- Supported the preparation of several National Reports to the Convention including on the on the implementation of the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety.
- Supported stocktaking of existing capacity and mechanisms for the integration of the Convention into Annual Work Programmes of Agencies as part of a National Capacity Self-Assessment Initiative.
United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
- Supported the preparation of Guyana’s National Action Programme.
- Supported the preparation of several National Reports to the Convention.
- Provided technical support for the aligning of Guyana’s National Action Plan to the Convention’s 10 Year Strategy.
- Conducted a stocktaking and thematic assessment of the Convention as part of the National Capacity Self-Assessment Initiative.