“Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we’ll soon be in trouble” -Roger Tory Peterson
National Bird Day is celebrated annually on the 5th of January to appreciate the importance of birds in our ecosystems and to raise awareness of the challenges they face on a daily basis. In many countries, birds are illegally traded at high prices. Exotic birds such as macaws, eagles, and badgers are sold for their colourful feathers, as pets, and even sold as food. Some birds make good bioindicators, meaning that by studying them scientists can learn about the quality of the environment that these birds live in. As a result of the increasing threats birds face, raising public awareness is critical.
Guyana has an incredible diversity of birds with records of over 3,000 species. We are
home to some of the most beautiful and unique birds in the world such as our national
bird, the Canjie Pheasant, and the largest eagle in the world, the mighty Harpy Eagle.
Here are 5 interesting bird facts:
1. The Bee Hummingbird is the smallest bird on the planet. It can grow from 5 to 6.1 centimetres.
2. The Ostrich is the biggest bird in the world and also lays the largest eggs, and has the largest eyes of any land animal.
3. There are around 18,000 species of birds in the world.
4. Birds evolved from a group of dinosaurs called Theropods (the same one that the Tyrannosaurus Rex belonged to).
5. Young Hoatzins, also known as Canje Pheasants, have two claws on their wings which they use to climb tree branches and pull themselves out of the water.
EMC, as part of our work, conducts biodiversity assessments across many different ecosystems in Guyana, from coastal wetlands to savannahs and highland forests. Our teams and experts undertake avifauna assessments and have encountered many of Guyana’s keynote species. EMC is also supporting the protection of the Mahaica River Watershed, which is an area renowned for its bird diversity and a hotspot for ecotourism.
Environmental Management Consultants Inc. (EMC), is an environmental service provider and promoter of green growth, that works to support efforts aimed at the protection and sustainable management of Guyana’s environment.